Mary Spender is a musician based in Bristol. Combining her sultry voice and electric guitar to create pop songs infused with blues and soul. Her songwriting showcases her virtuosic style of guitar playing as well as her wide vocal range, with the recordings often being accompanied by stunning visuals.
She has toured the UK, Germany and US; highlights include supporting Gabrielle Aplin and Ian McCulloch, as well as performing at the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville. In 2016 Mary has sold out her first two headline shows with her band in Bristol (The Louisiana) and London (Servant Jazz Quarters).
In January 2017, Mary will return to the USA to represent Vigier Guitars at NAMM in Los Angeles. She will showcase her unique Excalibur Indus fitted with A Little Thunder pickup, that adds bass to her solo performances. She’ll then tour around UK in February, including a landmark show in Bristol on the 9th.
More information about Mary Spender:
- She reached #4 in the iTunes Singer/Songwriter charts with her single ‘Willpower’ released 16th December 2013. Mary also featured alongside Will Pope on ITV’s ‘Tonight Show’ filmed at Peter Gabriel’s Real World Studios.
- Has supported Matthew Mayfield, Sam Bradley, Trampled by Turtles, Bruno Major, Sandi Thom, Ruarri Joseph and comedian Dr Phil Hammond (25 date 2013-2014 tour).
- She has performed at Ronnie Scotts and Glastonbury Festival, completed a two solo tours of the UK, Germany (’13 and ’14) and a two month tour of the USA (2014).
- Was even described as ‘one to watch’ by Seasick Steve when he caught her set at the 2013 Larmer Tree Festival.
- She’s recorded with a Grammy nominated Producer in Nashville.
- Sessioned for Gypsyfingers who supported James Blunt in Poland at Warsaw’s arena.
- Has been praised by Guns N’ Roses past guitarist, Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal.
- Collaborated with Nashville musician and producer Sean O’Bryan-Smith, also Billy Joel’s bassist, and Italian guitarist Marco Pinna on a remixed version of ‘Paperback’.
- Graduated from Bristol University with a degree in classical music.
- ‘Ignite’ won the open category at the UK Songwriting Contest 2012.
Female Arts – 5*/5 ‘take the attitude of Janis Joplin, the soul of Joni Mitchell, combine them together in the 21st Century indie-loving Bristol and there you have it – the enigma that is – Mary Spender…’
Renowned for Sound – 4.5*/ 5 ‘a genuine pleasure which shows off her talent and progression’.
God is in the TV – ‘Driven by an emotional maturity and resonance … Faux Americana possesses great symmetry’.
PRS For Music Online Magazine – Featured Artist June 2014 – ‘Her pithy guitar style and soulful husky notes are at forefront of all her recorded output…’